I am currently working as a quantitative wildlife biologist with Environment and Climate Change Canada. I have extensive statistical and modelling experience, but also love to be in the field.
- PhD, Biological Sciences; Simon Fraser University (Burnaby, BC)
Thesis title: The role of adaptive behaviour in migratory counts of shorebirds.
- MSc, Biological Sciences; Simon Fraser University (Burnaby, BC)
- BSc, Animal Biology Major; University of British Columbia (2003-2005); Bamfield Marine Science Centre (Fall 2004); University College of the Cariboo (2000-2002)
|Hierarchal modelling||Behavioural modelling||Mark-recapture analysis|
|Avian tagging and tracking||Migratory modelling||Bayesian analyses|
|Project management||Team management||Supervisory experience|
|Quick learner||Effective communicator||Good problem solver|
- Hope, D.D, C. Pekarik, M.C. Drever, P.A. Smith, C. Gratto-Trevor, J. Paquet, Y. Aubry, G. Donaldson, C. Friis, K. Gurney, J. Rausch, A.E. McKellar & B. Andres. 2019. Shorebirds of conservation concern in Canada – 2019. Wader Study 126(2): https://www.waderstudygroup.org/article/12804/.
Ydenberg, R. and Hope, D. (2019), Danger management and the seasonal adjustment of migratory speed by sandpipers. Journal of Avian Biology. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1111/jav.02202
- Hope, D. D., M. C. Drever, J. B. Buchanan, M.A. Bishop, G. Matz, and M. J. F. Lemon (2018). Trends in timing of spring migration along the Pacific Flyway by Western Sandpipers and Dunlins. The Condor: August 2018, Vol. 120, No. 3, pp. 471-488. DOI: 10.1650/CONDOR-17-126.1
- Hope, D. D., D. B. Lank, and R. C. Ydenberg. Mortality-minimizing sandpipers vary stopover behavior dependent on age and geographic proximity to migrating predators. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology:1-12. DOI: 10.1007/s00265-014-1695-x
- Kurle, C.M., C.V. Kappel, D.D. Hope, A. Lam. Invasion Status of Terrestrial Mammals on Uninhabited Islands within the San Juan Archipelago, Washington. Northwest Science, 87(2), 178-184.
- Hope, D.D.; D.B. Lank, B.D. Smith and R.C. Ydenberg. Migration of two calidrid sandpiper species on the predator landscape: how stopover time and hence migration speed vary with proximity to danger. Journal of Avian Biology 42: 523-530. DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-048X.2011.05347.x
- Hope, D. and R. Ydenberg. Taking the pulse of a migration. BirdWatch Canada. Spring 2017, Number 79.
- Hope, D. D., “The role of adaptive behaviour in migratory counts of shorebirds.” Environment Canada Pacific Wildlife Research Centre seminar series, Delta, BC.
- Hope, D. D., M. C. Drever, J. B. Buchanan, M.A. Bishop, G. Matz, and M. J. F. Lemon. “Divergent trends in migration timing of shorebirds along the Pacific flyway.” Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference. Seattle USA.
- Canham R, Hope D, Johnston R, Lank DB, Ydenberg RC. “A practical and informative sandpiper monitoring procedure for the Salish Sea.” Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference. Seattle USA.
- Hope, D. D., D.B. Lank and R.C. Ydenberg. “Southbound semipalmated sandpipers have shifted to safer stopover sites since 1974” Western Hemispheric Shorebird Group Meeting 7. Paracas Peru.
- Hope, D. D. and R.C. Ydenberg “Leading indicators for conservation: Utilizing a model of stopover site selection and citizen science surveys to assess census trends” Western Hemispheric Shorebird Group Meeting 7. Paracas Peru.
- Hope, D. D., “Taking the pulse of a shorebird population: Utilizing hypothesis-testing to understand the role of migrant behaviour in shaping census counts” Environment Canada Pacific Wildlife Research Centre seminar series, Delta, BC.
- Hope, D. D., D. Bradley, and R. Ydenberg “Utilizing hypothesis-testing to understand the role of migrant behaviour in shaping census counts” International Wader Study Group Meeting.
- Hope, D. D., K. Barry,. & R.C. Ydenberg. Taking the pulse of western sandpiper migrations: lessons from a hypothesis- testing approach to citizen-science. Western Hemispheric Shorebird Group Meeting 5. Santa Marta Colombia.
- Hope, D.D., D.B. Lank, B. Smith & R.C. Ydenberg. Does predation danger shape age-specific migration strategies? Poster Presentation. Western Hemispheric Shorebird Group Meeting 3.Mazatlan, Mexico.
|Quantitative wildlife biologist||Environment and Climate Change Canada||May 2019 - Present|
|Shorebird Biologist||Environment and Climate Change Canada||October 2018 - May 2019|
|Executive Officer||Center for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis, University of Oslo||Aug - Dec 2012|
|Organizing Assistant||International Statistical Ecology Conference 2012 - Oslo, Norway||July 2012|
|Assistant||Center for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis, Universitetet i Oslo||June - Aug 2012|
|Volunteer||World Wildlife Fund, Oslo - Trude Myhre||April - June 2012|
|Research Assistant||Center for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis, Universitetet i Oslo||April - June 2012|
|Volunteer||WildResearch - Avian Monitoring||2011|
|Graduate Student||University of Victoria - Ecology of Raccoons on Islands||2010 - 2011|
|Research Technician||University of Victoria - Ecology of Raccoons on Islands||2010|
|Research Technician (volunteer)||Simon Fraser University - Capturing breeding and juvenile sandpipers in Alaska||2008 & 2009|
|Volunteer||Whistler Bear Research Team||2006-2007|
|Research Assistant||Amy Newman, Department of Psychology, UBC, Vancouver||2005|
|Library Assistant||UBC Main Library, Vancouver||2003 - 2005|
- Teaching Assistant - BISC 405 Neurobiology - Simon Fraser University. 8 Months. Spring and Fall 2018
- Teaching Assistant - BISC 421 Models in Biology: From Molecules to Migration - Simon Fraser University. 4 Months. Spring 2018
- Teaching Assistant - BISC 102 Introductory Biology - Simon Fraser University. 9 Months. Spring/Fall 2008, and Spring 2010.
Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference Award
SFU President’s PhD Scholarship, 2016
NSERC Industrial Postgraduate Scholarship 2013-2015
WHSG Travel Award 2013
King-Platt Memorial Fellowship - 2010-2011
UVic Graduate Fellowship - 2010-2011
Northern Scientific Training Program Grant 2008 & 2009
SFU Graduate Fellowship, 2007, 2009, 2016, 2017
SFU Biological Sciences Travel Award 2009
UBC Deans Honour List 2004-2005
BMS Academic Scholarship, 2004
UBC Undergraduate Scholar Program Scholarship, 2003-2004
Passport to Education / Graduation Program Examinations Scholarship, 1999
- Norskkurs 1-3, Insensiv Folkeuniversitetet Oslo December 2011- March 2012
- Explore French Immersion Program Western Ontario, Trois Pistoles, PQ July - August 2005
Fair Vote BC/SFU - Organizer for campaign to enact electoral reform in British Columbia
Plastic Bag Free SFU - Founder/member of coalition that was working towards removing plastic bags from the campus of Simon Fraser University
Climate Change Action Group SFU - Member of group working to enact positive change on campus with regards to climate change
www.sfu.ca/~dhope : PhD thesis project webpage
www.davidhope.ca : Professional webpage
www.github.com/dhope : Code from previous and ongoing analyses
email@example.com • +1 (778) 882 4673 Burnaby, BC