I’m currently a PhD candidate at Simon Fraser University utilizing surveys at migratory stopovers to assess the status of shorebird species. I have extensive statistical and modelling experience, but also love to be in the field.
- 2013-2018 (expected)
- PhD, Biological Sciences; Simon Fraser University (Burnaby, BC)
Thesis title: Implications of behaviour on migratory census counts
- MSc, Biological Sciences; Simon Fraser University (Burnaby, BC)
- BSc, Animal Biology Major; University of British Columbia (2003-2005); Bamfield Marine Science Centre (Fall 2004); University College of the Cariboo (2000-2002)
- Hope, D. D., M. C. Drever, J. B. Buchanan, M.A. Bishop, G. Matz, and M. J. F. Lemon (2018). Trends in timing of spring migration along the Pacific Flyway by Western Sandpipers and Dunlins. The Condor: August 2018, Vol. 120, No. 3, pp. 471-488. DOI: 10.1650/CONDOR-17-126.1
- Hope, D. D., D. B. Lank, and R. C. Ydenberg. Mortality-minimizing sandpipers vary stopover behavior dependent on age and geographic proximity to migrating predators. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology:1-12. DOI: 10.1007/s00265-014-1695-x
- Kurle, C.M., C.V. Kappel, D.D. Hope, A. Lam. Invasion Status of Terrestrial Mammals on Uninhabited Islands within the San Juan Archipelago, Washington. Northwest Science, 87(2), 178-184.
- Hope, D.D.; D.B. Lank, B.D. Smith and R.C. Ydenberg. Migration of two calidrid sandpiper species on the predator landscape: how stopover time and hence migration speed vary with proximity to danger. Journal of Avian Biology 42: 523-530. DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-048X.2011.05347.x
- Hope, D. D., M. C. Drever, J. B. Buchanan, M.A. Bishop, G. Matz, and M. J. F. Lemon. “Divergent trends in migration timing of shorebirds along the Pacific flyway.” Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference. Seattle USA.
- Canham R, Hope D, Johnstone R, Lank DB, Ydenberg RC. “A practical and informative sandpiper monitoring procedure for the Salish Sea.” Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference. Seattle USA.
- Hope, D. D., D.B. Lank and R.C. Ydenberg. “Southbound semipalmated sandpipers have shifted to safer stopover sites since 1974” Western Hemispheric Shorebird Group Meeting 7. Paracas Peru.
- Hope, D. D. and R.C. Ydenberg “Leading indicators for conservation: Utilizing a model of stopover site selection and citizen science surveys to assess census trends” Western Hemispheric Shorebird Group Meeting 7. Paracas Peru.
- Hope, D. D., and R. Johnston “Understanding migration and non-breeding site choice in long-distant migrants” Les Ecologistes, SFU. 2016
- Hope, D. D., “Taking the pulse of a shorebird population: Utilizing hypothesis-testing to understand the role of migrant behaviour in shaping census counts” Environment Canada Pacific Wildlife Research Centre seminar series, Delta, BC.
- Hope, D. D., D. Bradley, and R. Ydenberg “Utilizing hypothesis-testing to understand the role of migrant behaviour in shaping census counts” International Wader Study Group Meeting.
- Hope, D. D., K. Barry,. & R.C. Ydenberg. Taking the pulse of western sandpiper migrations: lessons from a hypothesis- testing approach to citizen-science. Western Hemispheric Shorebird Group Meeting 5. Santa Marta Colombia.
- Hope, D. D., D.B. Lank & R.C. Ydenberg. Mortality-minimizing sandpipers vary migratory stopover behaviour dependent on age and geographic proximity to migrating predators. Western Hemispheric Shorebird Group Meeting 5. Santa Marta Colombia.
- Hope, D.D., D.B. Lank, B. Smith & R.C. Ydenberg. Does predation danger shape age-specific migration strategies? Poster Presentation. Western Hemispheric Shorebird Group Meeting 3.Mazatlan, Mexico.
- Hope, D. D.. The Effect of Predation Danger on Age-Specific Stopover Strategies of the Western Sandpiper (Calidris mauri). Poster Presentation. Pacific Ecology and Evolution Conference Bamfield, BC.
- Teaching Assistant - BISC 405 Neurobiology - Simon Fraser University. 4 Months. Spring 2018
- Teaching Assistant - BISC 421 Models in Biology: From Molecules to Migration - Simon Fraser University. 4 Months. Spring 2018
- Teaching Assistant - BISC 102 Introductory Biology – Simon Fraser University. 9 Months. Spring/Fall 2008, and Spring 2010.
- Norskkurs 1-3, Insensiv Folkeuniversitetet Oslo December 2011- March 2012
- Explore French Immersion Program Western Ontario, Trois Pistoles, PQ July – August 2005
Fair Vote BC/SFU – Organizer for campaign to enact electoral reform in British Columbia
Plastic Bag Free SFU – Founder/member of coalition that is working towards removing plastic bags from the campus of Simon Fraser University
Climate Change Action Group SFU – Member of group working to enact positive change on campus with regards to climate change
|Executive Officer||Center for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis, University of Oslo||Aug – Dec 2012|
|Organizing Assistant||International Statistical Ecology Conference 2012 – Oslo, Norway||July 2012|
|Assistant||Center for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis, Universitetet i Oslo||June - Aug 2012|
|Volunteer||World Wildlife Fund, Oslo – Trude Myhre||April - June 2012|
|Research Assistant||Center for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis, Universitetet i Oslo||April – June 2012|
|Volunteer||WildResearch – Avian Monitoring||2011|
|Graduate Student||University of Victoria – Ecology of Raccoons on Islands||2010-2011|
|Research Technician||University of Victoria – Ecology of Raccoons on Islands||2010|
|Research Technician (volunteer)||Simon Fraser University – Capturing breeding and juvenile sandpipers in Alaska||2008 & 2009|
|Volunteer||Whistler Bear Research Team||2006-2007|
|Research Assistant||Amy Newman, Department of Psychology, UBC, Vancouver||2005|
|Library Assistant||UBC Main Library, Vancouver||2003-2005|
Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference Award
SFU President’s PhD Scholarship, 2016
NSERC Industrial Postgraduate Scholarship 2013-2015
WHSG Travel Award 2013
King-Platt Memorial Fellowship – 2010-2011
UVic Graduate Fellowship – 2010-2011
Northern Scientific Training Program Grant 2008 & 2009
SFU Graduate Fellowship, 2007, 2009, 2016, 2017
SFU Biological Sciences Travel Award 2009
UBC Deans Honour List 2004-2005
BMS Academic Scholarship, 2004
UBC Undergraduate Scholar Program Scholarship, 2003-2004
Passport to Education / Graduation Program Examinations Scholarship, 1999
Skills and Certification
Chemical Immobilization of Wildlife Course 2009
Broad statistical experience
Extensive presentation experience
Excellent computer knowledge with knowledge of R, SPSS, SAS, and Jmp
Quick learner with excellent communication and problem solving skills
firstname.lastname@example.org • +1 (778) 882 4673 • Centre for Wildlife Ecology • Department of Biological Sciences • Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC •